fbpx
 

Variety’s First Bike Camp

Variety’s First Bike Camp

This past July, Variety hosted our first ever bike camp in partnership with iCan Shine Winnipeg Bike Camp and the St.Amant Foundation. iCan Shine is a non-profit organization that teaches individuals with disabilities to ride a conventional two-wheel bicycle using adapted bike equipment through its iCan Bike program. This five-day camp, requiring Riders to attend one 75-minute session per day, took place at the East End Arena.

During the camp, iCan Shine uses customized adapted equipment, trained professionals, and volunteers to help riders achieve their goal. With the 75 minutes of instruction each day over five days, approximately 80% of riders learn to ride a conventional bicycle independently by the end of camp. The remaining 20% often make great progress towards that goal!

Thanks to some of our incredible donors, Variety was able to gift bicycles and helmets to families who were in need. Each Variety family who did not have a bike or helmet of their own were gifted one of each so they can continue to practice their new skills on their own!

Janet Stewart from CBC News came to bike camp to highlight the amazing work, you can watch the segment below:

Thank you to all of the amazing volunteers who helped change the lives of so many individuals, iCan Shine for their amazing work, St.Amant for partnering with Variety, and Janet Stewart for showcasing the camp.



Make a difference, give the gift of confidence. Give