30 Jan Variety’s Bike Camp Volunteers Needed
Variety’s Bike Camp teaches children ages 8 and up living with a disability how to ride a 2-wheel bike independently. Over the course of camp riders transition from specialized equipment to a 2-wheel coaster bike as they learn the skills needed to balance and steer a bike on their own. Over the course of the camp, 80 individuals will learn the amazing skill of independently riding a bike.
Spotter Volunteer Role Description:
- Volunteers must be at least 15 years old
- Volunteers are requested to attend a 45 minute orientation session on the Sunday prior to their shift(s)
– available virtually.
- Volunteer spotters are asked to walk/jog/run alongside a rider as they are learning to ride a bike during a 75-minute session (with short breaks). You will provide encouragement and physical support, as needed.
- Volunteer spotters will walk/jog approximately 2-3 miles during each 75-minute session. Keep this in mind if considering volunteering for multiple sessions.
- We encourage volunteer spotters to commit to attending all 5 days of camp for the same session(s) if possible. These children bond with their assigned volunteers and rely on the same person to be there to support them each day of camp.
Sign up to Volunteer for week 1 here: https://app.etapestry.com/onlineforms/VarietytheChildren/volunteerbc.html
Sign up to Volunteer for week 2 here: https://app.etapestry.com/onlineforms/VarietytheChildren/volunteerbc2.html